First Solo in the Super Decathlon ~ D. Patrick Caldwell on The Joys of Flight

Friday, June 12, 2009

First Solo in the Super Decathlon

Shirt CuttingI haven't been posting much about my recent tailwheel time. Mostly because it has been going so well. Turns out, I don't tend to feel like blogging about all the good times and instead blog about the tough times.

Well, last night I soloed the 8KCAB at SkyBound Aviation and I've been approved to rent it solo from now on. The cool thing is, I also have about 20 night landings as well so I can solo at night too. I'll be going up next week to get some more dual for aerobatics, to get some more landings in, and to build a few more hours before I decide to take my friends and family for rides.

When I got back from doing my solo landings, my instructor and I had dinner with Evanthe (the lady who owns SkyBound). We were talking about what an accomplishment it is to become a proficient tailwheel pilot. It really is a lot of work and there are very few things in aviation that are more humbling. Evanthe decided that, even though I already have 200 hours and am an instrument rated pilot, my first Decathlon solo warranted another shirt cutting.

I objected of course because I was wearing a shirt I really like, but when my fiance showed up, she took Evanthte's side (and you can see the result). Anyhow, last night I got signed off to really learn tailwheel flying and I couldn't me any more excited.

Have fun. Be safe. Happy Piloting.
I really appreciate comments so please feel free to comment on my posts. Whether you agree or disagree, I'd love to hear from you. Also, feel free to link back to your own blog in your comments. You can even subscribe to an RSS feed of the comments on this thread.

© 2008 — , D. Patrick Caldwell, Vice President for Research and Development, Emerald Software Group, LLC

1 comment: